How to Wash your Wig
Some information and stores will offer/advise you to purchase speciality products to care for your wig. There will be wig cleaners, wig shampoos & wig conditioners these are fine to use if you prefer but using a standard mild shampoo will do the job and get you the same results.
I use and advise my clients to use a mild 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner which I use on my natural hair also (one wash needed, means less work for you). When purchasing for the first time, some retailers may try and advise of all types of wig products for you to buy. Don’t be afraid to say no, at the end of the day it’s their job to make extra sales.
Washing your Wig Step by Step
You will need the following:
2 in 1 mild shampoo and conditioner
- Fill your wash basin with cool or lukewarm water
- Add a small amount of your 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner
- Swish your hand in the basin to get the shampoo and conditioner forming bubbles in the water.
- Gently swish your wig in the water, which will loosen the dirt
- If the water changes colour (dirty water) empty basin a refill
- Continue steps 1 – 4 until water stays clean
- When the water is clean, so is your
- Empty the basin and refill with cold water
- Rinse thoroughly in cold water, still doing the swishing motion
- Shake off the excess water
- Lay your wig on a towel and fold over the towel so that your wig is in between like a sandwich
- Then press on the towel, this will soak up the last drops of water left in the wig.
- Leave your damp wig in a place to dry naturally